Teenage skin can be super sensitive and need some ultra care, since puberty hits right around that age. Teenage skin…
Eczema: Winter Tips
As temperatures begin to drop, people who struggle with eczema are likely to experience more flare ups. Eczema is caused by a genetic variation that impacts the skin’s ability to retain moisture and protect itself from bacteria, irritants, and allergens. Understanding the causes of eczema can help prevent flare ups. A variety of things can set off eczema. Your triggers may not be the same as someone else. It’s always a good idea to try to figure out what triggers your symptoms. Consider starting a journal to help identify what triggers you. Try writing down what you ate, wore, and any cosmetics you have used during a flare up. Here are a few tips to help prevent future outbreaks:
- Avoid dramatic changes in temperature.
- Use a humidifier to help moistened the air during the winter.
- Avoid using harsh cosmetics. Check with your dermatologist to figure out which chemicals can irritate skin.
- Moisturizers containing alpha hydroxy acids help remove dead skin cells, and boost skin thickness.
- Establish a skin care routine with your dermatologist and moisturize frequently.
- Hot water can cause irritation always to use lukewarm water.
- Avoid excessive sweating.
- Avoid itchy or rough textured fabrics.
- Avoid foods that you have sensitivity to.
- Avoid itching as it causes infections.
- Stay hydrated as water helps keep your skin moist.
- Remember to relax! Stress and anxiety can cause flare ups.
- Try bleach bath therapy to reduce exposure to bacteria. Follow this link from the American Academy of Dermatology for exact instructions: Bleach Bath Therapy
For more information on eczema, please contact our pharmacy that specializes in eczema today.
This blog is based on research and/or other scientific articles and is written by our experienced Chief Strategy Officer and Pharmacist, Ronak Desai. This blog is fact checked by our educated Pharmacist in Charge, Darshan Patel, who additionally runs our Apotheco Manhattan location.
Here at Apotheco Pharmacy Group, our goal is to provide the most up to date and accurate information on health and dermatology related topics. We do this to ensure our readers can make informed decisions based on factual content. All blogs undergo an extensive review process before posted.
This blog contains trusted sources. All sources are listed at the bottom of this article with hyperlinks that take you directly to the source.